Skin-to-skin means holding your baby naked or dressed only in a nappy against your skin, usually under your top or under a blanket.
There is growing evidence that shows in addition to reducing this stress, there are numerous benefits for mother and baby when engaged in skin-to-skin contact such as:
- It helps to regulate your baby’s body temperature
- It helps to stabilise your baby’s heart rate and breathing
- It help to calm your baby and minimises stress
- It helps to support your baby’s immune system by the passage of your own beneficial skin bacteria
- It helps to initiate breastfeeding