Help and support is available to you, including police response, online support, helplines, refuges and other services.
The household isolation resulting from COVID-19 pandemic does not apply if you need to leave your home to escape domestic abuse.
If you are unsure whether you are in an abusive relationship consider the answering the questions below:
Recognise Domestic Abuse
If you think you may be in an abusive relationship, there is help available listed on the above link and below.
Resources & Support
- Hestia provides a free mobile app, Bright Sky, which provides support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know.
- The National Domestic Abuse Helpline is run by Refuge and offers free, confidential support 24 hours a day to victims and those who are worried about friends and loved ones. Telephone and TypeTalk: 0808 2000 247
- Women’s Aid: You can telephone our helpline in the strictest confidence. Lines are staffed Monday to Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and there is an answer phone outside of these hours. A live chat service is available Mondays to Fridays between 10am and 12pm as well as an online survivor’s forum. You can also find your local domestic abuse service through the Domestic Abuse Directory.
- Manchester Womens Aid: 0161 660 7999
- Salford Womens Aid: 0161 793 3232
- The Survivor’s Handbook, created by Women’s Aid, provides information on housing, money, helping your children and your legal rights. It is available in 11 other languages and an audio version. Women’s Aid has useful information about making a safety plan that applies to both women and men, including advice if you decide to leave.
- Chayn provides online help, resources and courses to support recovery. Information available in a number of languages about identifying manipulative situations and how friends can support those being abused.
- The Muslim Women’s Network Helpline is a national specialist faith and culturally sensitive helpline that is confidential and free to access. Telephone: 0800 999 5786 | Text: 07415 206 936 | Email: [email protected]
- Imkaan are a women’s organisation addressing violence against black and minority women and girls.
- Southall Black Sisters information to Asian and Afro-Caribbean women suffering abuse.
- Karma Nirvana runs a national honour-based abuse and forced marriage helpline. If you are unable to call or email, you can send a message securely on the website. Telephone: 0800 5999 247 | Email: [email protected]
- Galop runs the National LGBT+ domestic abuse helpline. Telephone: 0800 999 5428 | TypeTalk: 18001 020 7704 2040 | Email: [email protected]
- The Men’s Advice Line is a confidential helpline for male victims of domestic abuse and those supporting them. Telephone: 0808 801 0327 Email: [email protected]
- SignHealth provides domestic abuse service support for deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL). Telephone: 020 3947 2601 Text/WhatsApp/Facetime: 07970 350366 | Email: [email protected].
- Sexual Assault Referral Centres provide advice and support services to victims and survivors of sexual assault or abuse.
- Shelter provide free confidential information, support and legal advice on all housing and homelessness issues including a webchat service.
- Victim Support runs a free and confidential 24/7 support telephone service for victims of crimes including domestic abuse, and also have free 24/7 live chat support on their website available across England and Wales. Telephone: 0808 16 89 111
- If you think you may be an abuser, there is support for you, including details of the Respect helpline.
Staying safe during COVID-19
In addition to the organisations above, here are some specific resources on staying safe during COVID-19.
Report and get help for domestic abuse during COVID-19 – including financial abuse and housing advice.
Guide for staying safe during COVID-19 for victims and survivors and guidance on domestic abuse and COVID-19.
COVID-19 Safety and Support Resources: Advice for survivors, support resources and resources in British Sign Language.